To quantify this growth, Sysomos decided to conduct a study that involved collecting information from 11.5 million Twitter accounts. We believe it’s the most extensive look at Twitter ever done, offering in-depth insight into Twitter’s growth and how people use it.
Among the findings are that:
• 72.5% of all users joining during the first five months of 2009.
• 85.3% of all Twitter users post less than one update/day
• 21% of users have never posted a Tweet
• 93.6% of users have less than 100 followers, while 92.4% follow less than 100 people.
• 5% of Twitter users account for 75% of all activity
• More than 50% of all updates are published using tools – mobile and Web-based – other than Twitter.com. TweetDeck is the most popular non-Twitter.com tool with 19.7% market share.
The complete report on Twitter can be found online on our Web site, as well as a PDF version for download. A complete list of all graphs and charts, in addition to those in the main report, are available in the appendix to the Inside Twitter report.
More: TechCrunch’s Erick Schonfeld did a blog post on the report.