The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, is known to most as “Hollywood’s biggest night.” This year though, some people were giving the award show a little more attention.
Under heavy scrutiny due a lack of racial diversity amongst nominees, the awards generated a lot of talk across the globe – and birthed the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag.
In addition to controversy surrounding race, people were also fixated on the nominations for Best Actor (with special focus on six-time nominee, but never recipient, Leonardo DiCaprio). There were high hopes going into the night that he would finally take the win.
Of course these themes and more played out heavily through social media. Today, thanks to the amazing Sysomos Reports team, we want to show you how it all went down.
In their report, which is available for download below, we took a look at what had people talking, what people thought of Chris Rock’s commentary, and the evolution of #OscarsSoWhite since nominations were announced.
This report also explores:
- What sparked the 11.8 million conversations on the day of the show
- Which events caused spikes in those conversations
- What people said they liked and didn’t like from the show
- How the audience reacted to Chris Rock as the host
- Who the world of social media would like to see as the host for next year
- How the 836,000 tweets about #OscarsSoWhite played out
- And more…
You can view the entire Oscars Sysomos Report below. If you’d like a report like this generated for you or your brand, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’d be happy to help you make sense of what’s happening in the ever-all-over-the-place socialsphere.