Pinterest is a social media platform that is ideal for sharing images of products, places and activities. Even if you’re familiar with Pinterest, perhaps using it to promote your business, you may not realize that the site now supports video. In 2019, Pinterest rolled out this feature, allowing users to post video pins and video ads.
Until recently, pins have been photos or other static images. In order to change this perception, Pinterest recently published a guide to creating Breakthrough Video on Pinterest. Let’s look at why video can be such a powerful strategy on this growing visual platform.
How Video Pins Work
Letting users post video pins was a natural step for a site dedicated to sharing images. After all, videos are extremely popular on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and even LinkedIn. Pinterest does not yet have a native video app so you can’t create your video there as you can on Facebook or YouTube. This means you need to create your video elsewhere and upload it to Pinterest. This isn’t a major obstacle, as there are many ways to create videos. Here are the steps.
First of all, you need a Pinterest business account if you want to upload videos. If you’re using the site for business, it’s a good idea to have a business account anyway. This type of account gives you access to several benefits such as advanced analytics. If you don’t yet have a business account, it’s easy to apply for one.
You can create your video in a number of ways.
- Adobe Spark
If you aren’t experienced with video software, you can start by simply shooting a video on your smartphone. However, if you want more advanced editing options and effects, it’s worth learning how to use a video making app. Pinterest gives a detailed list of steps for creating video pins. As of now, there is a 2 GB limit to how much you can upload at once. Files must be in .mp4, .mov or .m4v format.
Why Create Video Pins?
While it’s fairly straightforward to create video pins, is it worth the extra effort? After all, Pinterest has traditionally been about posting photos. There are some compelling reasons to at least experiment with video pins.
- Video content is getting more popular all the time. Videos on YouTube, Facebook, TikTok and other sites get millions of views every day. You simply need to create videos to reach today’s audience.
- Make your content stand out. Since video is still new on Pinterest, many accounts still aren’t using it. This gives you a chance to differentiate yourself from the competition. Right now, Pinterest is featuring video pins at the top of the mobile app, making them more visible to users than ordinary pins.
- Video helps you illustrate certain products and ideas more effectively. For example, recipes are very popular on Pinterest. A video lets you show how the dish is prepared step-by-step. The same is true for other processes, such as assembling an item, a beauty routine or exercising.
How Can You Make Your Video Pins Stand Out?
There are some good reasons that video pins can help you gain more attention on Pinterest than static images. The following are some guidelines to keep in mind when creating your video pins.
- Add appropriate and easy to read text overlay to your videos. Since most users think of Pinterest as a site to find images, they may not have their sound on. That’s why it’s better to include text overlay than to add audio to your videos.
- Vertical video pins are usually more eye-catching than horizontal videos. These are the types of videos typically found on sites such as Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram so viewers are used to this format.
- Use a relevant and memorable title.
- Use keywords in the description. As on YouTube and other sites, keywords make it easier for people to find your videos.
- Keep it short. Currently, Pinterest videos can be as long as 15 minutes. However, people are used to scrolling quickly on Pinterest and can’t be expected to sit through a long video. It’s best to keep them under 30 seconds unless you have a complex procedure to illustrate.
Video Ads on Pinterest
Another option is to advertise with videos on Pinterest. If you’re active on Pinterest, you may already be promoting pins. You can also promote your videos, which can be a good strategy for getting more traffic to other Pinterest content or your external landing pages. You can use promoted videos for a number of purposes.
- Feature a new product or one that’s on sale. This works especially well if you have a Shopify or other e-commerce site. You could make a video showcasing a number of products in a certain category.
- Use videos to motivate actions such as making a purchase or signing up for your mailing list.
- Tell your brand story, which can encourage viewers to look at your other pins or visit your website.
Make Pinterest Part of Your Video Marketing Strategy
Pinterest can be a powerful tool for showcasing products and services. Now that Pinterest supports video pins, including video ads, there’s a great deal to be gained by including this platform in your video marketing strategy. One of the advantages of making videos is that you can get a great deal of leverage out of each video, sharing it on multiple sites. You may have to make slight alterations to make a video Pinterest-friendly. However, you can still repurpose videos you use on other sites for Pinterest.
If you’re not already using video marketing to grow your business, this is a good time to start. Video is more than a passing fad but part of a long-term trend in how people consume content online. Videos are extremely popular and shareable on social media. Businesses that are active on sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter can now include Pinterest as part of their video marketing strategy.